Interesting Statistics About Blindness and Visual Impairment (in the US)
- 12 million people over 40 in the US are visually impaired. This includes1 million who are blind, 3 million who have vision impairment after correction, and 8 million who have vision impairment due to uncorrected refractive error.
- 4.2 million people over 40 have uncorrectable vision impairment.
- 6.8% of kids under 18 years have a diagnosed eye and vision condition.
- 2,000 workers per day sustain job-related eye injuries that require medical treatment.
- 93 million adults are at high risk for serious vision loss, but only half visited an eye doctor in the past year.
- Major vision problems among those over 40 costs our economy $145 billion per year.
- Vision impairment is one of the top 10 disabilities among adults and one of the most prevalent disabling conditions among children.
- 90% of blindness caused by diabetes is preventable.
Fast Facts of Common Eye Disorders
Support SDCB today