Current Job AnnouncementsPOSITION: Director of Development
REPORTS TO: CEO
HOURS: 8:30am – 4:30pm, Monday-Friday, with evenings and weekends as required
SALARY RANGE $70,000 – $90,000/year
The Director of Development (DOD) is responsible for the comprehensive planning, implementation, management, and oversight of all fundraising, communications, and community relations activities. The DOD works collaboratively and maintains clear and regular communications with CEO, volunteer leadership, community partners and donors, and support staff.
Our ideal candidate will be a motivated team player with boundless energy and a can-do attitude.
• Plans, implements, and manages the development/communications program designed to meet the goals and objectives as defined by the organizational strategic plan.
• Works with the CEO, board of directors, and volunteer committees to plan, execute, and facilitate fundraising and communications strategies.
• Serves as the primary staff liaison with board committees and volunteer fundraising committee; provides support and expertise to the board of directors on all matters related to fundraising and communications.
• Partners with the CEO, board members, and volunteers to identify, cultivate, and solicit prospects and significant donors to help meet funding goals for SDCB.
• Creates the annual department budget and long-term strategic development and communications plans.
• Establishes and implements an annual calendar of fundraising and communications activities and events.
• Directs the writing of funding proposals, direct mail letters, special event materials, and other fundraising support documentation.
• Oversees the stewardship, gift accounting, and reporting functions ensuring that all donors receive personal and timely acknowledgment of their gifts. Oversees the management of donor database.
• Develops annual revenue goals and plans to diversify and increase organizational budget through a comprehensive development strategy to include foundation and individual donors (major donors, smaller-level donors, online, etc.), as well as other appropriate sources.
• Leads and engages senior management team, including communications, in developing effective messages for new and broader donor audiences.
• Prepares development reports including plans, accomplishments, and challenges for Executive Management and Board meetings.
• Supports and facilitates CEO, Board, management, and staff in their development efforts.
• Bachelor’s degree required with a preferred emphasis in fundraising, marketing, public relations, or business administration.
• Minimum five-years of work experience demonstrating competency in comprehensive development/fundraising, community relations, and communications/marketing.
• Knowledge of fundraising including development planning, annual giving, and major gift cultivation and solicitation, and planned giving.
• Knowledge of communications planning, social media, and public relations.
• Knowledge of budget development, administration, and staff management.
• Excellent interpersonal, management, verbal, and written communication skills.
• Must be flexible, responsible, and able to balance a variety of activities and work as an effective member of a team.
• Ability to succeed within a consensus-building culture: self-motivation, collaboration, and strong written and verbal skills are essential at SDCB.
• Create a positive environment where two-way communication and strong trust are established.
• Focus on teamwork and customer service so volunteers understand the importance of assisting others and that “Excellence is in the Details”.
• Consistently provide ideas, opinions, or information in an articulate, professional way.
• Actively listen to others and demonstrate understanding of other points of view.
• Possess intellectual curiosity and sense of humor.
• Proven ability to manage projects, set priorities, and work within deadlines.
• Computer skills preferred include MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Teams
• Working knowledge of Blackbaud Raisers Edge and NXT.
• CFRE preferred.
• Submit your letter of interest along with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
As an EOE/AA employer, SDCB will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or protected Veteran status. SDCB values diversity and inclusion and welcomes diverse candidates to apply.